Tuesday, January 8, 2008

My Pants Don't Fit and Other Random Thoughts

After 3 months of a desk job, I can't seem to button my jeans. Well, I guess I can button them, they just don't button easily. I vowed to eat better, and walk everyday, and try to get healthier...but it started to rain...and wind...and storm...so, I decided to wait to walk, and I might as well eat...

This is the heartbreaker. My son T. Sunday night, he was trying to find what he was going to wear to school. He went into his room, and didn't come out for awhile, so I walked in to check on him. He was sitting dejectedly in the middle of the floor of his room. I asked him what was wrong, and he said, "Mom, I'm tired of being fat. I'm tired of being reminded by other people every day that I am fat. I know I'm overweight, why do people have to remind me?" Talk about breaking a mother's heart. I didn't really know what to say. I know (as most other mothers do) that he will grow into his bulk as he hits puberty. That's what his uncles did, he takes after them. But, I also know that those are empty meaningless words to a 13year old boy who feels fat. I told him that we could start to walk and eat right and that would help, but, he just had to wait until he started to grow. We went for a walk early Monday morning and had some really nice mom & son time. He told me about a day during break, when he went to the skate park with a friend and his dad. T was getting ready to drop into the bowl to skate, and some lady that was there, told him that he was too fat to skate it. I think I felt a little homicidal. I can't believe anyone would feel it's OK to say that to any other person. That takes guts.

I tend to be a bit of a Mama Bear. I get fiercely protective of my babies. I try to remain somewhat objective, in most cases. But, something like that just boils my blood.

On a different tangent, my daughter's friend is still without power. I talked to her dad, who is mightily ticked I might add, and he said that PG&E told him that they don't know when his power will be restored. They have lost all of the food in their refrigerator. All of it. A is staying with a friend for the night, so that she can dry her hair after she takes her shower. S & J are showering at the gym! This is insane. To say the least.

Well, homework is beckoning. Three boys with homework homework homework.

1 comment:

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Ah, hon. I know how hard it is to have something different about you. And it's even harder when it's your kid... Justin has spent many a night crying over his differences. Things that didn't seem that important to me, but were the world to HIM. Hang in there. Hug him a lot...