Saturday, February 9, 2008

Hit me With Another Round of Antibiotics!

Mid January the flu hit my house. Our 7 year old was hit first and hard. He was throwing up and had a fever of 103.7. He was sick sick sick for four days. Finally, the fever broke and he seemed to feel better. He went back to school Monday, kicking, fighting and screaming all of the way. He sat in the office for thirty minutes, until one of the aides convinced him to go to class. Then Tuesday, he sat in the office (after throwing fits) for 1 hour until the principal got there. Then, Wednesday, he refused to leave the parking lot. I decided to walk him to class, after he landed a couple good swift kicks to my left shin, my good friend Trish grabbed him, and I took the babies and the two Funny Frogs and went to my office. After she held onto him for about a half an hour he went to class. Repeat performance on Thursday. We tried bribes, threats the works. Nothing seemed to work. Finally, Thursday he told us that a boy he sits next to was calling him stupid. We took care of that. Friday, he went reluctantly but without any major fights.

Begin the week again on Monday, again tears and screaming and kicking, I dragged him to class not once, not twice, not three times, but four times. He kept saying he had to go to the bathroom, and refusing to go back to class.

He was coughing almost uncontrollably, every time he moved. I decided to take him to the dr. Monday night. Sure enough, he had an ear infection and bronchitis again. Tuesday he was home from school, and started a round of antibiotics. Wednesday we had another hard day. But, then Thursday, exactly 48 hours after beginning antibiotics, he miraculously was cured of his tantrum throwing ways.

So, in case any body else wanted it, I got bad mom of the year award for the weeks of Jan 28 through Feb 7. I know I really wasn't being a bad mom, but it kinda makes ya feel bad when your baby has been feeling sick (even though he wasn't expressing those feelings with words) for about two weeks and I've been dragging a sick child to school. He wasn't feverish, just coughing. Sigh. I guess he needs something to talk about in therapy.

I don't know what I would have done without Trish though! She was a lifesaver. Becasue, she could step in and be calm, and not angry, no power struggles, just relief for me.

I came down with "The Cold" over this last weekend. I felt awful and spent the better part of two days in my bed. But, I am feeling much better now. Moms aren't supposed to be sick for too terribly long, ya know. Besides, who would drag me to work kicking and screaming? Trish?

3 comments:

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Oh, we've all done it. If only they wouldn't fake being sick! Or be whiny for any reason other than being sick, we'd believe them and listen harder when they were being grumpy and tired, you know?

Hope you feel ok.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Oh, we've all done it. If only they wouldn't fake being sick! Or be whiny for any reason other than being sick, we'd believe them and listen harder when they were being grumpy and tired, you know?

Hope you feel ok.

Tricia said...

I'd leave you in bed -to sleep- and drag the kids to school! :)

Why is it so much easier to deal with other peoples children then our own???