Sunday, July 15, 2007

The Story of Our Lives...

OK. Let me tell you that nothing ever goes as we plan. We planned a lovely family camping trip and were excited beyond measure (My One Tru Love and I anyway) about it. Wednesday I had to host Bunco, so I spent the day cooking and getting ready for that...buying alcohol, you know the basics. I didn't get home until after 11 pm. We decided to sleep in on Thursday and do the shopping first thing when we woke up. No rush...just enjoy the day.
We woke up Thursday morning at around 8. We took our showers and headed out to the store. I decided to take the cell phone I've been using (R's) and leave his at home to charge. We spent a nice time shopping at Walmart, Costco, and Winco. We even went out to coffee...just the two of us. It was nice. Well, I didn't realize that R's cell phone had died while we were shopping. We got home to cries of "Why wouldn't you answer your cell phone?! I think C broke his arm!! Dan called and your tool box is munched!" WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? First, checked C's arm, that was OK. Don't really know what the problem originally was, but the arm was not broken, bruised, bleeding or otherwise needing attention. My One Tru Love called Dan to find out the scoop on his tool box. Sidenote: My One Tru Love is a mechanic. His tools make the money we live on. Therefore his tool box is very important to us. Dan informed him that the dealership was broken into and all of the mechanics toolboxes were broken into and tools were stolen! Not good news before we leave on vacation. My One Tru Love went from 0 to pissed off in nothing flat. He told me to run the last few errands, jumped in the car and tore off towards work (20 minutes away) to investigate the damage. He called me after he got there and told me that he had lost about $5,000 worth of tools, and that his toolbox is destroyed...at least the top 5 drawers. He was going to talk to the service manager to figure out what was happening then he'd be home, but it would take about 2 hours to try to inventory the stolen tools. I packed as best I could, worried beyond belief about this new situation.
We finally got out of town at around 4 pm. We arrived at the campground at around 6 pm, to find out that the trip we thought would cost only $79 was going to cost us $135! Yes, $135 to camp for three nights! Crazy! We paid it...hoping for the best. We found our campesite, not what we were expecting, but we made the best. We went looking for the flush toilets...yeah, there were two flush toilets, by the store, 1 mile from our campsite. So we investigated the shower situation, same situation, except there were four showers. Did I mention that there are around 300+ campsites? The rest of the "facilities" were glorified port-a-potties, you know chemical toilets. Worse than pit toilets in my humble opinion. My exuberance by this point had waned to almost non existent. We spent a nice evening by the campfire, and looked forward to taking the boat out on the lake the following day. Which we did, and enjoyed swimming, fishing, and the kids tubed. It was a nice day, and we all got a little sunburned in spite of the sunscreen. We also got neighbors while we were on the lake, they seemed OK. Boy, were we wrong. At around 8 pm C was exhausted, so I took him over to the tent to go to sleep, and he said "What is that horrible smell?" POT!!!!! Yes. Weed. Hash. Mary Jane. Crazy grass. Whatever you want to call it. He ended up going to sleep at around 9:30. Our partying neighbors didn't call it quits until 3 am!!!!! We decided when we were awakened by their children (Yes, pot and kids....) at 7 am that we were going to go on the lake for a few hours, then break camp and check out early. Get the heck out of there. We were exhausted and thoroughly disgusted! We had a nice morning on the lake, and we broke camp and checked out taking the time to let them know why we were leaving early. I was hoping that our complaint would be met with a little action. Indifference. We left without any satisfaction.
When we got home we decided to have a munchy movie night, and just relaxed. That part was really nice.
Today, My One Tru Love and I went to the dealership to finish inventory of his missing tools. Then, we had to look up part numbers and prices for the insurance company. Tomorrow he'll turn it in, and he was just about right on, so far we are at about $4,500 in stolen tools. Ugh.
Like I said, the story of our lives...you should hear the one about our wedding and honeymoon...now that's a story...

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Okay- so I see now why you might have preferred the cabin in Mendocino with 13 kids... Ughhhh! I'm so sorry that trip was not what you anticipated! And that your 'one tru love' gets tools back quick!