Monday, February 26, 2007

Creative Sanitation Management

Last week we didn't have school on Monday. Therefore, I didn't have work. It was a four day week. The first day back to work/school was Tuesday. I am saying all of this because, I didn't realize that Tuesday was Tuesday. I thought it was Monday. Therefore, by the time Thursday (the real one) rolled around, I thought it was Wednesday. Thursday is garbage day. With a family with four children and two adults, six people in all, we produce quite a bit of garbage. We sort of live for garbage day. I know it sounds like a pitiful existence, but, what can I say. Anyway, I realized when we were most of the way to school on Thursday that it was garbage day, and I had not pulled the garbage cans to the curb. I was sort of hoping that the garbage man would be in good humor and would walk the car length necessary to retrieve our full cans, thus making my day. NOPE! He didn't take our garbage. This drama has initiated our creative sanitation management. Now, we have two weeks of garbage to fit into two garbage cans barely big enough for one week's worth of garbage. I have been struggling to stuff garbage down really tight in the kitchen can. Saturday, I dressed my 10 year old in boots and jeans and lifted him into the outside can (the one without the broken bowl) to jump up and down to try to compact that a bit, to maybe fit 5 more days worth of garbage. By Sunday, it didn't look like anyone had jumped up and down in the can at all. It was full. So, as we speak I have a huge leaf bag beside me, which is getting stuffed and stomped and cajoled into holding garbage for another two days. This is the dilemma of my life right now.
Not only did I miss garbage day, but I also missed the weekly meeting with my 10 year old's teacher. Of course, because I meet with her on Tuesday or Thursday, not Wednesday...and I thought that Thursday was Wednesday. This really messed up my life. Obviously, in more ways than one. I guess the big plus was waking up on Saturday, thinking it was Friday. That doesn't happen all to often. What a pleasant surprise to actually not have to drag myself out of bed at 5:45 am.
The weekend was jam packed with fun...yeah right. Another trip to Sacramento to bring yet more stuff from My One Tru Love's grandmother's house. She passed away in May, and we are still cleaning out and going through her stuff. 32 years in one place is a long time, and she accumulated alot of stuff. My in-laws are keeping just about everything. They have three storage sheds and the garage and the family room and the spare room packed with boxes and boxes of her stuff and her furniture. The job of going through her stuff is heartbreaking. I can hardly look at the welcome sign from her front yard without tearing up, and it's been 9 months. I really miss her. January was hard, as was Christmas and Thanksgiving. Mother's Day will be hard, as she died the day after Mother's Day. I know that somehow it gets easier, but I'm just wondering when. Seeing all of her life packed in boxes and stuck in a garage and storage shed just seems wrong. I haven't been back to her house since the funeral, and I can't imagine going into her now empty house. I think that is part of the reason My One Tru Love is so grumpy after he comes home from another moving session. It has to be so hard. So far, I have successfully avoided going back into her house.
So, here it is Monday, and what a day. It started to rain during the first lunch recess, we had to pull all the kids in. Then it stopped! Then it started up again in the middle of the second lunch recess, so we had to pull the kids in. What fun. Hopefully any rain will hold off until 1:30 pm tomorrow.
Well, all I have left to say is that Thursday can't get here fast enough!

No comments: