Saturday, April 14, 2007

Spring Break/Back to School

Spring Break was not the greatest for me and my boys. My daughter had the time of her life in LA being spoiled rotten my my aunt and uncle. It sounds like they had a blast. They spent two days at Disneyland, a day at the Huntington Beach Library visiting museums and art exhibits. R loved it, then they spent a day at the Tea Gardens, a day at the mall, a day at the Reagen Library, a day at Solvang, and visited the beach. She got to go visit my cousin in his assisted living home. He was glad to see her and get a breath of fresh air. We, here at home, were dealing with my grandma's illness and surgery.
Thursday I decided that the boys and I needed to get out of the house. So, we made a trip to the park. My oldest son went to the lake with my in-laws. So, C and M and I went to Caper Acres. We had a great time. I took the ripple blanket afghan I am working on for M's best friend, and crocheted while the boys played. It was a really nice day, not hot and not cold. I was feeling a little tired, so we went home and I took a nap. Overall the day was great. At about 11:30 pm I woke up not feeling so hot. I figured out in short order that I was getting a bladder infection. I have only experienced 4 of these in my lifetime. Which, in my humble opinion is 4 times too many. At any rate, I decided to drink tons of cranberry juice all night and flush it out of my system. I woke up in the morning feeling worse. I spent the entire day Friday feeling awful, but trying to convince myself that I was getting better, as I drank water constantly. T had band practice, so I took him, and then got more water and drank and drank and drank water. I went to pick up T and was feeling like I was going to die, my friend LS told me that I looked horrible, and told me that I needed to go to the dr. because it sounded like my infection was spreading to my kidneys. I am rather stubborn and I hate to take medicine of any kind. Probably because I spent the first five years of my life taking every antibiotic known to man at the time. I went home. I talked to My One Tru Love and told him I wasn't feeling well, he told me that if I needed to go to the dr. then I should. So I laid down for two hours. Then, I realized (as my hip and back were aching and my insides felt bruised and sore) that if I didn't go to the dr. then, I was going to end up in the hospital. I had been monitoring my temperature all day and had been normal. But, by the time I got to the dr. I was running a temp. I had the beginning of a kidney infection and a massive UTI. He put me on one of the big guns, gave me some Pyridium (Gosh, I love that stuff) and sent me on my way. He said that I had done a good job of trying to flush it out of my system, it just was bigger than I thought. I went home and felt like garbage for a couple more days.
I went back to work on Tuesday, still feeling a little beat up, but feeling much better than before. Now, I am officially off of antibiotics, and feeling like a normal person. I decided that since caffeine and soda can contribute to UTI's I decided to cut them out of my life. I quit coffee while I was sick, so I didn't really notice any adverse side effects. Soda isn't so hard. I found the sparkling water at Walmart again. No calories, so sugar, no sodium, but has some carbonation, I decided that could do for any soda fix I needed or wanted. I really don't want to be that sick again.
The kids are back to school and counting down the days to summer. It isn't that far away. I am looking forward to some time with all of them.
My One Tru Love and T are out in the rain shooting today, so I have C, M, R and her best friend over, while I try to get my house respectable enough for an overnight babysitter next weekend. Aaagh. What was I thinking? I have so much to do, so I am sitting here on the computer...go figure. I have laundry up the wazoo, and a messy bedroom (all my clean clothes are stacked neatly on top of my dresser). My kitchen still shows the remnants of our strawberry pancake breakfast. Oh me oh my. I have work to do. And R and her friend want to go to the movies at 2. Well, I guess I should stop talking about it, and do something about it.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

So I am also a fan of pyridium- just got me some this morning! First bladder infection I have had in over ten years. Apparently I let the sinus infection go on to long which put my body at risk for the UTI. I slept all afternoon sleeping while K took the kids out. And now it's 8:15 and I'm ready for bed again...hate being sick!